Water Pollution: Origin, Cause and Remedy
Water pollution is contamination of water in different water bodies which include oceans, rivers, swamps and lakes. The contamination of water means one or more substances are built up in water which is causing harmful damages to out drinking water, food supplies and environment. It is also creating issues within the ecosystem of oceans and hurting the plant life and animals that relay on the rivers and oceans for survival. In simple terms, water pollution means dirty water and dirty water means it is unfit for consumption. Depending upon the usage of water it is decided whether or not the water is polluted. If the water is intended to be used for drinking, then anything that makes it unfit for consumption is considered water pollution. Today, homeowners widely make use of water softeners to purify the water and make it safe for consumption. You may check the Top 10 Water Softener Reviews to know the best and suitable water softener for your house.
Origin of Water Pollution
There are different classifications of water pollution, of which the two primary origins of water pollution include Point and Non-Point source water pollution.
- Point is basically referred to the pollutants which belong to single source and responsible for polluting the water. For instance, the emissions and wastes from industries and factories diluted in water can make it polluted.
- Non-Point usually referred to the pollutants which are released by multiple sources. The polluted water which has travelled through varied regions after rainfall is also considered to be the non point source of water pollution.
Causes of Water Pollution
- Industrial Process – When industries release toxin into water bodies before treatment, the water gets polluted and unfit for consumption. It reduces oxygen level of water and introduces mercury, sulphuric acid and lead into water, making it polluted and unsafe.
- Agricultural Fertilizers – Leaching is the process where the agricultural chemicals like pesticides and fertilizers are released in water bodies which make it poisonous and unsafe for consumption
- Inorganic Industrial Waste – Some of the inorganic wastes like lead, mercury, acids, metals and more hamper the natural body processes and presence of these waste in water make it polluted and unfit for living things.
- Untreated Sewage from Households – Moisturizer, deodorants, powder, shampoo, hair oil, sap, lotion, dye and other such products also greatly contribute to water pollution as it goes into sewage without treatment and this can contaminate different water bodies in the process.
Remedy to Water Pollution
- Stop using Chemicals at Home – Always prefer using environmentally friendly cleaners at home
- Preventing industrial waste from accessing water bodies – Industries must treat the waste and avoid disposing them, instead try methods like burying it safely.
- Sewerage Treatment – It is advisable that all household water must be treated aptly so as to make it environmentally friendly. You must avoid pumping the sewage into water directly. You must follow effective steps to dispose it and effective sewage treatment plans must be put in place for proper sewage treatment.
- Treating Industrial Waste Before Discharge – All industries and factors are required to treat the industrial waste before discharging it and remove the toxic chemicals to make less harmful to the water bodies
- Promoting a Love for Waterways – This is the effective way to motivate the community to stop polluting water around them and when they will work together great results can be achieved.
- Recycling – The process of recycling the commercial and domestic waste is effective in preventing water pollution. So, everyone must focus on recycling the waste safely rather dumping it in sea.
- Use Organic Agriculture – This is the process of using less fertilizers and pesticides